Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Cloudy Day...

It's a cloudy, foggy, misty day here just off the one-lane road.  And it looks like that's going to be the story for the next several days.  Some might label this kind of weather "gloomy" or "depressing."  Typically Pollyanna, here, I figure life is what you make it, so make it fun!  I love rainy days.  I love the sound of the rain on the roof.  MM (husband), originally from sunny Denver, believes I have webs between my toes and moss on my back!  For me, rainy days are guilt-free inside days and I have lots of "toys" to enjoy. 

I lived in the Pacific Northwest as a child.  There, weather was more often than not less than ideal if one favored a daily dose of sunshine.  My mother was a staunch defender of our marine climate and a firm believer in the half-full theory of living--always looking for a "bright" side.

She had a way of encouraging brightness in me, too, especially in the face of (to me) obvious gloom.  If I complained that it was raining, and that I had nothing to do Mom would let me know that if I was unable to discover something captivating pretty quickly, she would find something for me to do, and I would probably like my own ideas better than hers.

So, I was motivated to dig into my full complement of simple toys, puzzles, and books...never realizing the unlying truth and wisdom of my mother's teaching until later in life.  As it turned out I still love puzzles on a rainy day, my "simple toys" nowadays are an embroidery/sewing machine, a spinning wheel, a lifetime supply of wool for handspinning; a knitting machine, handknitting supplies and yarn, my camera and computer...and, of course,  books.  What a wonderful lesson--creating your own "brightness" when none seems to exist.

West Virginia has beautiful clouds.  So what better way to gain a philosophical perspective about cloudiness and cloudy days than to enjoy some "cloudy" (bright) photos.










2 comments:

  1. You know, I don't usually think of the glass as half-empty, but my post for today is just about the exact opposite of yours from yesterday! I needed a little more vacation. Or maybe none at all! Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really enjoying your posts Elora...they are so poetic...and make me feel good :)

    ReplyDelete