Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Launch

OK.  Time's up.  I've stewed over my first post long enough.  So, the idea now is to close my eyes, hold my nose, and jump!

This blog is about two retirees, married 40+ years,  living a self-sufficient life "out here" on a small piece of ground, deep within Appalachia, and Just Off the One-Lane Road.  I'll share our joys and our challenges, with the hope that you will find both information and inspiration.  Even if you're not a retiree, I trust you'll still discover things you can use and enjoy.

Mostly, though, if I bring any message to this blog, it would be to live life fully, whatever your age.  As T. S. Eliot said,
"We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time."

Initially, my goal was to start this journal to keep my 65-year-old mind polished up.  Admittedly though, as I remarked to a friend who has helped drag me out of the Pleistocene Age and into the unfamiliar realm of wired voices, it has, at times, felt like I was learning to drive a car by trying the heater knob and seat adjustment.

But frustrations aside, I have managed somehow at least, to burst through the doorway and am teetering on the threshhold of a whole new adventure.  I wonder where the road will lead.  Toes curled over the edge...now uncurling...Here goes...!

Oh, before I leap...one more thing:  my sincere thanks to all of you who have been my mentors, my guides, my friends, my knowledge base--for your gracious and encouraging hand up. It's been so much fun! 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the courage to allow us into your place, your lives, and your thoughts by way of the blog. It has been a wonderful medium for me over the past years, connecting me with people I'd never have gotten to know, with words I did not know where in me, and with with places I would go I would not have traveled without other ears, eyes and hearts to share the journey. Stay the course!

    ReplyDelete