Friday, April 9, 2010

Welcome to My World! (and The Green Green Grass of Home!)

How can I convey “greeeeeen?”


This is the time of year when the word vibrance doesn’t even begin to describe what I see. My world is a thousand shades of green—everything from the shocking chartreuse of the Angelina in my rock garden to the fierce dominance of the orchard grass and clover in the pasture. Quite simply , it is breathtaking beyond description!


The Appalachians are the place to be to experience the rhapsody of spring. Aaron Copeland’s Appalachian Spring only hit the high notes.


It’s the indescribable carpet of violets beneath my feet throughout my yard!


It’s the Creeping Flocks shimmering in the aftermath of a rainstorm!

It’s the redbuds boldly announcing their return outside my window!

The colors unfold in a symphony of unbelievable color-play. I have to pinch myself to make sure I’m not in the midst of a dream. But no dream could begin to compare with the reality.


The scene changes daily, even hourly. Woven through the upper canopy the birdsongs are loud and declarative. “It’s here! It’s now! It’s ours!”  And, of course who could argue with them!


Ominously, (just to add a little spice of adventure) it's possible we'll get a little frost this evening. But then again….maybe not. The plums are already shedding their petals in a daily storm of no-longer-needed blossoms. There were billions of pollinators visiting those trees in the last few days, so –if this potential dip in temperature kindly leaves quickly—we’ll have plums. The apples are just beginning to bloom. Same with the peaches.


Welcome to my world!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, lovely photos of spring! We went from winter to everything in bloom in two weeks time. I just wish the flower season lasted a little longer. Your place sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That carpet of violets is so lovely. here spring is creeping slowly in with the occasional hop and skip. Don't work too hard getting your spring planting done, it's not good if you strain your back.

    ReplyDelete