Monday, November 22, 2010

The Sounds of War

I'll apologize ahead of time for taking the liberty on this blog this morning, of reminding us all that wars are going on.  I "shot" the lovely scenes below, last night as we finished milking the cow....such a tranquil and pastoral process--one we are allowed to live right here JOTOLR, every day.  The distant bark of a fox reverberated in the twilight under the full moon, and I was enveloped in beauty.  With Thanksgiving approaching, I did, indeed, give thanks for our fortunate circumstance.

This morning it's a different story.  In place of tranquility we have "war" out here, JOTOLR.  Hunters are doing battle with the wily deer. And, I'm not unhappy with that.  The sounds of rifles are going off all around us.  I hope the hunters are able to add to their larders.

OTOH, by extension, I cannot help but remember that the moon flies with the same light, over all nations; glorious sunsets occur in all areas of the world, war-torn or otherwise; war is such a diabolical convention!  How, in this day and age, can we continue to believe that shooting and killing others solves problems.

I cannot imagine what it must be like to live in a war-ravaged country, the sounds of artillery shattering any possible peace--where just to walk across the street could cost you your life;  to go shopping for vegetables in the town market, might be your final shopping trip.  What would be it be like to have soldiers from a foreign country occupying my hometown? What would it be like to be characterized as an "insurgent" when you're simply trying to defend your right to grow food for your family?

Sorry, folks....but when I hear shots ring out --and I know they are in MY woods and the hunter is trespassing,(despite the fact that if that hunter had come to us and had asked to hunt, we would have written a permit and given permission)(and, as usual, they probably cut another hole in our boundary fence to drag the carass through which we will once again have to repair).  I can't help but think about others in the world who are threatened and must live daily with the sounds and the physical consequences of war.  And it saddens me greatly.  

I hope I don't lose any of you on this post, but sometimes I can't help getting a bit more serious.  Seems we all need to put our heads together and find a better way of running this world.  Watching the program last night on Athens and Democracy, makes me realize once again that our barbarism has been going on for thousands and thousands of years.  When will we ever learn?

6 comments:

  1. Elora -- I'm an old peace activist from the 60s that has not changed my views since then. You certainly won't lose me as a reader. Wars are the ban of all life. We have been involved in them, as you point out, for eons and eons. We are fortunate to not be in a war area. Living in war areas would be horrendous. Losing friends and family and on a regular basis must be unbearable. I always contented that women should rule the rule so that there would not be so many wars but I really don't know if that statement holds any water. I just thought that women are the nurturers and givers of life and therefore would shrink at the thought of war? Big subject -- war. Be interesting to get other thoughts on this. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jimi Hendrix said, "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

    I think we have a long way to go before that happens. Unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elora,

    I haven't commented in a LONG time but your post moves me and I want you to know that you have not lost this reader. I love the photos...and I appreciate your sober reminder.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very moving post. The horrors of war so sharply contrast with your glorious photographs. Your words are so well said. Why can't we recognize and acknowledge the feelings and sufferings of our fellow human beings in other countries? That's why our primary charity is Doctors without Borders. They bring medical care to areas so desperately in need and give no thought to politics, religion, county. It's all about the people who are suffering.

    Thanks for this poignant post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've often though that those who experience war in their home country must have to be incredibly strong mentally not to go mad with fear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this post, Elora. I think we all need to be shaken from our complacency from time to time, so that we don't forget that there are others suffering the horrors of war---suffering in ways we can only imagine.

    Such beautiful photos---how blessed we are to be able to enjoy such beauty in tranquility.

    ReplyDelete